Liz Cheney Raised More Funds from Blue States than from Wyoming

Liz Cheney

Representative Liz Cheney, a Republican from Wyoming, profited from a large fundraising haul in the first quarter of 2022, but a close examination indicates that the great majority of the funding came from heavily Democratic places, but not her home state, Fox News informed.

Cheney raised approximately $3 million in the first quarter of 2022, bringing her total fundraising to over $10 million and her campaign’s cash on hand to about $7 million.

According to data provided by Open Secrets, the great majority of those funds did not come from her home state, or only 3.8 percent were from Wyoming while the rest 96.2 percent came from elsewhere in the country.

Cheney has become a divisive figure inside the Republican Party as an ardent critic of former President Donald Trump.

She was dismissed from her House GOP leadership post last year, and the Republican National Committee eventually censured her for her involvement in the Democrat-led January 6 Committee.

The legislator’s constituents in Wyoming, a state Trump won by nearly 64 percent in 2020, were not pleased with the events.

Cheney’s increasing unpopularity has paved the way for a primary challenge from Harriet Hageman, a 2018 Wyoming gubernatorial candidate who has received Trump and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarty’s (R-Calif.) endorsements, with one poll showing the challenger leading the incumbent by 20 points.

Cheney’s campaign has received a lot of funding due to his bleak reelection prospects, but much of it has come from locations more commonly identified with Democratic voters.

According to Open Secrets statistics, the top five metropolitan areas where Cheney got donations are Washington, D.C., New York City, Dallas, Bridgeport, Conn., and Boston.

D.C. suburbs including McClean, Va., Alexandria, Va., and Washington, D.C. itself are among the top postal codes where donations come from.

New York City, Dallas, Greenwich, Conn., and Winnetka, Ill., a Chicago suburb, were among the most popular area codes.

Cheney also collected more than three times as much money from California, $669.43K, than she did from her native state of Wyoming, $217.68K, according to the report.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.