E Jean Carroll, the writer who accused Donald Trump of raping her more than two decades ago, plans to file a new lawsuit against the former president.
New York State recently passed the Adult Survivors Act, which gives adult accusers a one-year window to bring civil claims over alleged sexual misconduct regardless of how long ago it occurred.
In a letter made public yesterday, a lawyer for Carroll said she planned to sue Trump for battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress under New York state’s Adult Survivors Act. The state law takes effect on November 24.
Trump has been accused of rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment, including non-consensual kissing or groping, by at least 25 women since the 1970s.
Carroll’s lawyer Roberta Kaplan said her client planned to sue Trump on the date the law takes effect, and that the claims and Carroll’s existing defamation case against Trump could be tried together in February 2023.
Carroll has accused Trump of raping her in the dressing room of the high-end Manhattan department store Bergdorf Goodman. She sued Trump in 2019 while he was the president, saying he slandered her by denying her allegation that he raped her in a New York department store in the 1990s.
Trump said she was “totally lying” and was “not my type”, among other derogatory remarks. Since then, Trump has argued that he was shielded from the lawsuit by a federal law that provides immunity to government employees from defamation claims.
The case remains ongoing. Trump and Carroll are still awaiting a decision by the federal appeals court in Manhattan over whether Carroll’s defamation case can proceed at all.
This is one of many cases ongoing against the former president. Trump faces a wide array of litigations and investigations. This includes investigations into Trump’s efforts to undo the 2020 US presidential election and refusal to turn over government documents after leaving the White House.