Ukraine has been accused of launching its first airstrike on Russian territory since Russia first invaded Ukraine, Sky News reported.
It comes as hopes of an evacuation for the citizens of destroyed, besieged Mariupol have faded after a humanitarian team had tried to head to the city.
Reports have emerged that Ukrainian helicopters destroyed a fuel depot in Belgorod, which would make it the very first airstrike by Ukrainian forces on Russian territory since the war began.
Regional Belgorod governor Vyacheslav Gladkov said today that Ukrainian helicopters crossed the border at a low altitude and that the strikes set off a blaze that injured two workers.
The International Committee of the Red Cross had plans to deliver much-needed aid to besieged Mariupol. They said today that the efforts have been, and remain to be, extremely complex.
An estimated 5,000 people have been killed in Mariupol under constant shelling and airstrikes. About 170,000 civilians are still trapped in the besieged city and have been struggling without access to basic human needs, such as food, water, gas, electricity, heating, running water, and more.
The evacuation effort has now been deemed unlikely by experts, meaning it’s a devastating blow to the civilians trapped there.
Russia had promised an open humanitarian corridor to Zaporizhzhia, but Ukraine said that Russia has not kept this promise.
Today’s hopeful convoy of nine staff members in three cars hoped to lead a convoy of about 54 Ukrainian buses as well as a number of private vehicles.
Previously, Russian forces blocked a convoy of buses that were sent to evacuate people late on Thursday, and seized 12 lorries of humanitarian aid.
The charity also said that if and when safe passage for the civilians happens, their role as a neutral intermediary will mean that they immediately lead the convoy from Mariupol to another city within Ukraine that desperately needs aid.
Ukraine and Russia were meant to resume peace talks today.