Prince Andrew’s lawyers have been given permission to review the 2009 settlement that they believe will protect him from the current sexual assault lawsuit against him, effectively ending the sexual assault civil lawsuit.
Virginia Giuffre accused Prince Andrew of sexually assaulting her when she was underage.
This week, US district judge Loretta Preska in Manhattan agreed that Prince Andrew’s legal team could receive a copy of the agreement that was made in 2009 between Giuffre and late financier, sex offender and convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein. Giuffre had also accused Epstein of abuse. Epstein killed himself in a Manhattan jail while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
Epstein’s estate had agreed to allow Prince Andrew to review the agreement, but he could not until he received court approval. With court approval now in hand, the Queen’s second son and his legal team are free to review the case.
The Duke of York’s lawyer, Andrew Brettler, previously argued that the settlement agreement would end the lawsuit against the duke by releasing him and others from “any and all” potential liability. He said that he expects to hear from Giuffre’s lawyers soon with an agreement.
One of Giuffre’s lawyers said in a court filing in September that he believed this settlement was “irrelevant” to her case against Prince Andrew.
The prince has not been charged with crimes. He has continuously denied these allegations.
Giuffre accused the prince of forcing her to have sex when she was underage. The assault allegedly took place at the home of socialite Ghislaine Maxwell, Epstein’s longtime associate. Giuffre has also accused Andrew of two subsequent assaults, one in Manhattan at Epstein’s mansion, and one on Epstein’s private island in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Prince Andrew now faces a deadline of Oct. 29 to formally respond to Giuffre’s lawsuit.