Your Daily Polling Update for Monday, March 30, 2020
TRUMP JOB APPROVAL: AVERAGE 48%
Same as Saturday
RON’S COMMENT: Today’s average is based on four polls, ranging from 46% (Rasmussen) to 49% (Washington Post/ABC). Without these extremes, the average would still be 48%…. Trump’s disapproval rating averages 50% today (same as Saturday), which is 2 points higher than his approval rating.
A note to our readers:
Lunchtime Politics will publish Tuesdays and Thursdays during the weeks ahead, and will add special editions (such as today’s) when important new data becomes available. As soon as political polling gears up again, we will return to regular daily publication. Thanks to all our readers and best of health, Ron
Among voters nationwide
(WP/ABC) Biden over Trump: +2 (49-47)
(Fox News) Biden over Trump: +9 (49-40)
RON’S COMMENT: Two polls, two different pictures. The Washington Post/ABC survey shows a close race, but the Fox News poll puts Biden well ahead. These surveys were conducted within a day of one another.
- The Washington Post/ABC poll shows Biden beating Trump 54-42 among women, 88-12 among Democrats and 47-46 among independents. Trump wins Republicans 91-9 and men 52-43.
- The Fox poll shows Biden beating Trump 53-36 among women, 87-5 among Democrats and 34-24 among independents (with 19% of independents saying they’d vote for someone else). Trump wins Republicans 86-9 and men 45-44.
- With VPs added: The Fox poll finds that either a Biden-Harris or a Biden-Klobuchar ticket beats Trump-Pence by 8 points and Biden-Warren wins by 10 points.
- Enthusiasm: The Washington Post/ABC poll finds that 86% of Trump supporters are enthusiastic about their candidate, while 74% of Biden supporters are enthusiastic about their candidate.
The Washington Post/ABC poll tested both candidates on the following issues and finds:
- Voters trust Trump over Biden 47-43 on handling the coronavirus outbreak. This is a troublesome finding for Biden’s campaign.
- Voters trust Trump over Biden 52-42 on handling the economy. This finding indicates that most voters do not blame Trump for the current coronavirus-related economic slowdown.
- Voters trust Biden over Trump 51-41 on handling healthcare. Voters are clearly separating the general healthcare issue from the specific coronavirus issue.
Follow here to get the latest updates on the Lunchtime Politics.