Prince Charles has tested positive for coronavirus, as Clarence House confirmed that the 71-year-old heir to the throne was diagnosed with the COVID-19 disease in a statement released this morning, Sky News reported.
The royal displayed “mild symptoms” on Sunday and was then tested on Monday, with the results coming through late on Tuesday night, the statement said.
Charles “otherwise remains in good health” and has been self-isolating in Scotland with the Duchess of Cornwall, who has tested negative for coronavirus.
“The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus,” the statement said. “He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.”
The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.
“The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing. It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks,” said a royal representative.
Prince Charles’ last public event was a reception and dinner in aid of the Australian bushfire relief effort on 12 March, which took place at Mansion House in London.
Earlier that day the Prince of Wales had attended an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, where he greeted recipients with a non-contact gesture due to concerns about the spread of the illness.