Poll Shows Biden, Warren in Lead Among Democratic Candidates

Former Vice President Joe Biden is leading the packed Democratic presidential field along with Senator Elizabeth Warren, a new poll showed on Thursday.

The NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll puts Biden at 26 percent support and Warren at 19 percent, while Senators Kamala Harris and Bernie Sanders received 13 percent support each. In fifth place with only 7 percent support, according to the poll, is Pete Buttigieg. Entrepreneur Andrew Yang and former Texas Representative Beto O’Rourke register at 2 percent, Politico writes.

All the remaining candidates are either at 1 percent or less, the outlet adds.

However, despite having a clear lead in the poll, nothing is certain yet. Only 12 percent of respondents expressed certainty in their choice and all the others left the possibility to later change their mind open. The survey was carried out right after the Democratic debates in June and the Independence Day weekend.

Of all the respondents, the majority said they had watched or listened to the debates, while another 28 percent said they had only read news stories about them. The remaining 20 percent said they neither watched the debates nor read news stories about them.

Among those who watched or listened to the debates, 80 percent said they did so for both, and the other 20 percent listened to or watched only one of the debates. Of them 47 percent were most impressed with Harris’ debate performance and 32 percent with Warren’s the first night.

Most of the voters likewise said they would vote for Harris provided they learned more about her, with about 14 percent and 12 percent saying the same about Buttigieg and Warren, respectively.

The poll is good news for O’Rourke and Yang who need 2 percent in four qualifying polls to take part in the first fall debate in September.

The survey has a margin of error of plus-or-minus 4.9 percentage points.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.