Chinese government disappointed some U.S. officials who accused the government of playing a “blame game” after the recent escalation in the trade war between the two nations.
“To understand where the parties are and where they can go, it is necessary to understand the history that has led to the current impasse,” U.S. trade officials said in a release Monday.
U.S. officials said President Trump is committed to addressing China’s “unfair trade practices” that they say have contributed to almost $420 billion in deficits last year.
The alleged unfair practices over intellectual property were documented in a 200-page report released by the U.S. in March 2018.
China denied U.S. allegations of stealing trade secrets and forced technology transfers.
“It is important to note that the impetus for the discussions was China’s long history of unfair trade practices. Our negotiating positions have been consistent throughout these talks, and China back-pedaled on important elements of what the parties had agreed to,” the U.S. statement reads.
In China’s statement Sunday, officials claimed the stall was due to the U.S. backtracking on commitments three times, according to The Associated Press.
“But the more the U.S. government is offered, the more it wants,” it reportedly said, accusing the American negotiators of “resorting to intimidation and coercion.”
Trade negotiations between China and the U.S. faltered in early May, and the Trump administration raised tariffs from 10 percent to 25 percent on $200 billion of imports. China responded by targeting $60 billion worth of U.S. agricultural exports.
Trump has threatened another round of tariffs on Chinese imports if a deal is not reached.