The U.S. State Department said Friday that it is offering up to 1 million dollars for information leading to the capture of Osama bin Laden’s son, whom the State Department says has climbed the ranks of al-Qaeda, CNN reported.
Hamza bin Laden has released several online messages since August 2015 calling for attacks on the United States and its allies, a statement from the State Department said.
The threats are meant as revenge for the 2011 killing of his father, according to the statement, which was released on Thursday.
“Hamza bin Laden … is emerging as a leader” in the al-Qaeda franchise, the Department said in a statement. “He has released audio and video messages on the Internet, calling on his followers to launch attacks against the United States and its Western allies, and he has threatened attacks against the United States in revenge for the May 2011 killing of his father by U.S. military forces.”
U.S. soldiers killed Osama bin Laden on May 2, 2011, inside the compound that the al-Qaeda chief had been using as a hideout for years in the northern Pakistani city of Abbottabad. The younger bin Laden was placed on a terrorist list by the United States in early 2017.
Since then, any assets he may have in that country have been frozen and U.S. firms and individuals are banned from doing business with him.