On Saturday two terrorists have been eliminated in an air strike conducted by the U.S. Military in the region of southwestern Libya as part of the efforts to deny militants a safe haven in the country’s vast desert.
The strike which was carried out in coordination with the internationally recognized Government of National Accord in Tripoli hit its target on the outskirts of the city of Ubari, the U.S. Africa Command reported.
“At this time, we assess no civilians were killed in this strike,” the report said.
A witness in Ubari told Reuters by telephone that a large explosion had been heard around midday.
According to Reuters, a house in the Fursan neighborhood was hit and two bodies were found there. Residents from the neighborhood also reported that the house was frequented by foreigners.
In local media outlets, pictures appeared that showed a body on the ground with several limbs and its head missing, as well as a car with its windows blown out and dozens of holes in one side.
Over the past few years, U.S. forces are carrying out occasional airstrikes aimed at militants in Libya.
Reuters also reminded that the U.S. military previously has launched an air campaign against Islamic State in the group’s former Libyan stronghold of Sirte in 2016, as local forces battled to oust jihadists from the city.
Only last year the United States announced that it had killed dozens of suspects in air strikes in desert areas south of Sirte as an operation meant to limit the regrouping of militants.