The bipartisan immigration proposal that was made by Senator Lindsey Graham and her Democratic colleague Dick Durbin was rejected by the White House on Sunday.
Hogan Gidley, the White House spokesman said that the plan is “a giant step in the wrong direction” that is too lax on illegal immigration.
“The Flake-Graham-Durbin proposal embodies every reason Americans do not trust Washington. It puts people who are in this country unlawfully ahead of our own American citizens,” Gidley told The Hill.
By all accounts, it looks as if the White House is trying to discourage Republican lawmakers from backing up the bipartisan solution.
Monday noon should be the end of the debate on the bill that will fund the government and end the shutdown. After the government reopens the negotiations will start again on the immigrant issue and how the hundreds of thousands of immigrants will be dealt with.
Last week President Trump also rejected the plan which led to a government shutdown.
According to The Hill, the White House argues the measure is too generous, saying it could eventually allow as many as 8 million immigrants to legalize their status. Almost 700,000 people benefit from the DACA program, but many more are eligible. The Graham-Durbin proposal would also allow parents of young immigrants to apply for a renewable legal status, but not a path to citizenship.
“Their plan totally fails to secure the border, and includes no legal authorities to stop illegal immigration which ensures a massive wave of new illegal immigration and new chain migration,” Gidley added in the White House statement.
Graham commented on Sunday that most responsible for the rejections that come from the White House is Stephen Miller.
“Every time we have a proposal it is only yanked back by staff members. As long as Stephen Miller is in charge of negotiating immigration, we’re going nowhere,” Graham said.