As President Donald Trump faces growing backlash for tweeting a video attacking CNN on Sunday, Twitter told the network that the president’s tweet did not violate the social media platform’s terms and conditions, The Hill reports.
Trump tweeted an old video clip on Sunday of him beating up an individual at a wrestling event, with a CNN logo superimposed over the man’s face. The video is the latest in a series of attacks on the media by the president made on Twitter.
Earlier this week, Trump issued a highly personal and graphic attack on MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski, in which he called her “crazy”, “low I.Q.” and referenced her bleeding from a facelift.
The attacks have sparked speculation as to whether Trump has violated the social media platform’s terms and regulations. CNN is claiming the president is inciting violence, issuing a statement saying that “it is a sad day when the President of the United State encourages violence against reporters.”
One of the network’s anchors, Brooke Baldwin, asked the president to stop on Twitter, saying she was scared. CNN commentator Ana Navarro also expressed her concerns with the tweet saying “it is an incitement to violence” and that “he is going to get somebody killed in the media.”
However, the president’s Homeland Security Adviser Tom Bossert downplayed the tweet during an appearance on ABC’s “This Week” on Sunday. “No one would perceive that as a threat,” Bossert said.
“I think it was intended as a tongue-in-cheek, satirical video. Nothing serious,” CNN commentator Kayleigh McEnany said, adding she would have advised the president to tweet the video.
The tweet is still posted to Trump’s personal account, and was retweeted to the @POTUS Twitter handle, which is the official account of the president of the United States.