Despite House Speaker Kevin McCarthy’s threat to impeach him, the Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas has no intention of resigning from his post and is prepared for any potential Republican investigations if they arise.
Speaking on ABC’s “This Week,” Mayorkas said Sunday he has no plan of stepping down, stressing that he’s got a lot of work to do, and he’s going to do it, mentioning his trip with President Biden to El Paso and attendance at the North American Leaders’ Summit in Mexico City after that.
Mayorkas has been made a leading target by McCarthy and other Republicans based on what they perceive to be a crisis at the nation’s southern border.
McCarthy said in his own visit to El Paso back in November that if Mayorkas does not resign, House Republicans will investigate every order, every action, and every failure to determine the possibility of beginning impeachment inquiries.
Stressing that they never do impeachment for political purposes, McCarthy cited Mayorkas’ orders, his lying to the American public, withholding ICE from doing their jobs, and not following through with what the laws on the books are today as crimes that could lead to his impeachment.
He pointed out as an example of Mayorkas’ lies his statement at a congressional hearing in November that the border is secure.
Mayorkas, on the other hand, agrees with GOP’s assessment that the nation’s immigration system is broken, stressing that Congress has failed to repair it for decades.
According to the new policy that Biden unveiled last week, the United States will accept 30,000 migrants a month for two years from the hemisphere’s most troubled nations Haiti, Nicaragua, Venezuela, and Cuba, in his strongest move to date to confront the arrivals of migrants, which have spiraled in the last two years since he took office.
Previously in December, several days after the Supreme Court ruled that Trump-era restriction of Title 42 must stay in place for what could be months as a legal battle over their future plays out, the news broke that his administration is planning to use the controversial policy to expel back to Mexico many Cuban, Nicaraguan and Haitian migrants caught at the southern border.