Former President Donald Trump’s aides were blindsided by the House Select Committee’s access to footage from a documentary filmmaker.
British documentary filmmaker Alex Holden had extensive access to Trump and his inner circle ahead of the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection. Holden was documenting Trump and his family for the months leading up to the Capitol insurrection.
On Tuesday, he revealed that his footage had been requested by the House select committing investigating the riot.
The subpoena asks for the raw footage taken on Jan. 6, as well as any raw footage from interviews conducted between Sept. 2020 and the present day that includes Trump, former vice president Mike Pence, Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump, and Jared Kushner.
The subpoena also requested raw footage “pertaining to discussions of election fraud or election integrity surrounding the 2020 presidential election.”
The subpoena reportedly caught Trump’s former aides off-guard.
“What the f*** is this?” a former top Trump 2020 official reportedly said to Rolling Stone about the matter this week.
Only a small group of people had known about the documentary project, and many of Trump’s advisers were surprised to see it had even existed. Apparently, senior campaign officials were unaware of the project. Other senior officials also just learned of the documentary yesterday as a result of the news this week.
The documentary, titled “Unprecedented”, was purchased last year by a major streaming service, and will reportedly be released in a three-part series in the summer of this year. Holden said he had complete editorial control over the project, and that he was never paid by the Trump or his staff.
Holden said that he had no agenda coming into the documentary, but `’simply wanted to better understand who the Trumps were and what motivated them to hold onto power so desperately.”