After the lawyers of Greenpeace and German NGO Deutsche Umwelthilfe have threatened a string of car manufacturers, including Daimler, with lawsuit, the German automaker refuted on Friday as unbased its “cease and desist” demand to stop selling combustion engine vehicles by 2030, CTV News reports.
Their official statement says that Daimler’s committed to the 2015 Paris climate accord’s goals to reduce carbon emissions and aims turning its entire vehicle fleet climate neutral by 2039, a decade before the current EU rules’ deadline.
The company also said it’ll use all legal means to defend itself if it comes to a lawsuit, while the other companies mentioned in the NGOs rebuke have not yet publicly responded to the announcement.
Concerned about their environmental impact, the German NGOs lawyers have informed Daimler’s BMW, Daimler’s Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and the oil firm Wintershall Dea on their intention to initiate legal action unless they sign a legal pledge not to put new combustion engine vehicles onto the market.
They cited the alleged obligation by the companies to follow the same rules as governments when it comes to reducing greenhouse gas emissions to combat climate change and decried the automakers for engaging in climate-damaging activities, pledging to take legal action to restrict the CO2 emissions the companies can release.
The legal duo Remo Klinger and Roda Verheyen, that will be representing them, has convinced a German court earlier this year to order the country’s government to update its climate law by the end of 2022.
The NGOs are hoping to push the companies to commit to adjust its emissions reduction plans and not to consume more than the remaining CO2 budget to which they are entitled according to the IPCC and the Paris climate limit, underscoring the time for fossil industries is now up.