Your Daily Polling Update for Saturday, August 21, 2021
BIDEN JOB APPROVAL: AVERAGE 46%
Down 2 points from Wednesday
RON’S COMMENT: President Biden’s job rating is now clearly underwater, 46-50…. Today’s average is based on three polls, ranging from 46% (Reuters, Rasmussen) to 47% (Economist). Biden’s disapproval rating averages 50% today (up 1 from Wednesday).
VIRGINIA: GOVERNOR 2021
Among voters statewide
(VCU) Terry McAuliffe (D) over Glenn Youngkin (R): +3 (40-37)
(Roanoke College) Terry McAuliffe (D) over Glenn Youngkin (R): +8 (46-38)
RON’S COMMENT: The average of the last four polls shows McAuliffe ahead by 4.5 points…. Today’s VCU poll indicates a fairly tight race, but the Roanoke College poll gives McAuliffe a wider lead. Both surveys were conducted about the same time…. The VCU poll finds that:
- For lieutenant governor, Democrat Hala Ayala leads Republican Winsome Sears 39-31. Both are women of color.
- Incumbent attorney general Mark Herring (D) leads Republican Jason Miyares 41-30.
- McAuliffe has a sizable lead in Northern Virginia (51% to 24%) while Youngkin leads in the west (52% to 32%). Voters are split in the south central region, with 34% supporting Youngkin and 32% supporting McAuliffe, and in Tidewater, with 42% supporting McAuliffe and 37% supporting Youngkin.
Excerpts from the Roanoke College poll report:
- Likely voters see the economy (26%) and COVID (9%) as the most important issues in the election ahead of race relations (7%), education (7%) and health care (6%).
- McAuliffe’s favorable rating is 44% while his unfavorable is 32%. Youngkin is at 27%/21% favorable/unfavorable.
- Voters prefer a candidate with governmental experience (48%) over one with business experience (38%), and they are much more likely to think that policy in the Commonwealth has been moving too far in the liberal direction (41%) than in the conservative direction (6%).
- 48% approve of the way President Biden is handling his job, while 43% disapprove. Biden’s disapproval has been rising from 30% in February to 39% in May and 43% in August. Keep in mind that many of the poll interviews were completed before the fall of Kabul.
- Job approval for Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) sits at 52%, with 38% disapproving.
NEW JERSEY: GOVERNOR 2021
Among voters statewide
Gov. Phil Murphy (D) over Jack Ciatterelli (R): +16 (52-36)
RON’S COMMENT: New Jersey has a gubernatorial election Nov. 2 and the Democratic incumbent maintains a solid lead in the polls over Republican challenger Ciatterelli, a former state assemblyman and the second-place finisher in the 2017 GOP primary for governor.
Presidential job rating average based on recent nationwide polls.
VIRGINIA: Roanoke College Poll/ Institute for Policy and Opinion Research, Aug. 3-17; VCU, Aug. 4-15
NEW JERSEY: Monmouth, Aug. 11-16
Publication schedule: Lunchtime Politics publishes when important new polling data is available, usually at least once a week. When we get closer to the next round of elections, we will resume daily publication. Thanks to all our readers and best of health, Ron
Follow here to get the latest updates on the Lunchtime Politics.