FBI Agents Shoot, Wound Armed Suspect Outside CIA Headquarters

FBI agents shot and wounded an armed suspect outside CIA headquarters in Virginia on Monday, the agency said as quoted by New York Post. The suspect was shot at about 6 p.m. following an hours-long standoff with authorities that kicked off when the intruder tried to drive into the federal facility.

Guards at the gates stopped the suspect, who repeatedly refused to move, the report said, citing two law enforcement officials. Security officers tried to push the vehicle out of the way. The suspect then exited the car with a gun and was shot, the report said.

The man, whose identity has not been released, was transported to an area hospital, the FBI said. The extent of his injuries was not known.  It’s unclear what condition they were in Monday night.

“The FBI takes all shooting incidents involving our agents or task force members seriously. The review process is thorough and objective, and is conducted as expeditiously as possible under the circumstances,” the bureau said in a statement.

Two officials told NBC News that the suspect, who they described as mentally unstable, has tried several times in the past to sneak into the CIA facility. The shooting is under investigation.

“The review process is thorough and objective, and is conducted as expeditiously as possible under the circumstances,” the FBI said in its statement.

A CIA spokeswoman said earlier that they were “addressing a security situation just outside the secure perimeter of CIA Headquarters by our main gate. Our compound remains secured, and our Security Protective Officers working the incident are the only Agency personnel directly involved.”

A reporter on the scene from the NBC News station in Washington, D.C., WRC-TV, observed a significant amount of police activity around the security gates to the headquarters complex in a Virginia suburb near Washington, D.C. The buildings themselves are set far back from the gates.

Security around the CIA is taken especially seriously because in 1993, a Pakistani national killed two CIA employees in their cars and wounded three others as they were waiting at a stoplight near that main entrance. Mir Aimal Kasi, also known as Mir Aimal Kansi, fled and was at large for four years before being arrested, returned to the U.S., tried and convicted. He was executed in 2002.

In April, a U.S. Capitol police officer was killed and another injured when a suspect rammed a barrier.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.