The coronavirus pandemic is still rampaging through the whole world and even celebrities are not safe from it.
The last one on the list is actor Antonio Banderas, who was tested positive on his 60th birthday. The Academy Award nominee issued a statement in Spanish on Twitter.
“I’d like to add that I’m feeling relatively well, just a bit more tired than usual, and confident that I will recover as soon as possible,’’ said Banderas.
The actor said that he is currently self-quarantining.
“I will take advantage of this isolation to read, write, rest and continue making plans to begin to give meaning to my 60 years, to which I arrive full of enthusiasm. A big hug to everyone,’’ concluded Banderas.
According to The Hill, the Spanish actor currently lives in the United Kingdom, which has seen a total of more than 311,000 cases of the virus and more than 46,000 deaths. Other celebrities who have tested positive for the virus thus far include actors Tom Hanks and Idris Elba, musician Jackson Browne and Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell.
Meanwhile, the U.S. has reported the most confirmed COVID-19 cases and deaths of any other country. The number of new infections across the U.S. have shown signs of easing recently, though the number of cases remains at a high level compared to earlier in the pandemic.
In some states, governors responded to spikes in June and July by implementing mandatory statewide mask policies and reimposing a number of restrictions. Other states, however, have largely kept nonessential businesses open despite the summer uptick.
In Georgia, for example, Gov. Brian Kemp (R) refused to implement a statewide mask mandate despite COVID-19 spikes and has sought to prohibit localities from imposing similar orders. In Florida, another hotspot for the virus, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) declined to impose a statewide order, though some local leaders across the state have put in place mandatory face covering requirements.
States like Florida, Arizona and Texas saw their peak in cases in mid- and late July, though they have dropped the past couple weeks. For many states, the number of cases has started to trend downward, though it is at a high level, underscoring the difficulty of quickly getting the disease under control.
President Trump maintained in an interview with Axios released Monday that the pandemic is “under control as much as you can control it” in the U.S., saying that the death toll “is what it is.”
“They are dying, that’s true. And you have — it is what it is,” he said. “But that doesn’t mean we aren’t doing everything we can. It’s under control as much as you can control it. This is a horrible plague.”
The interview was recorded before the coronavirus-related death toll in the U.S. surpassed 150,000.