Government Warns Busy Atlantic Hurricane Season Ahead

This year’s Atlantic hurricane season will be a busy one, according to a Thursday prediction by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

According to the NOAA, there’s a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 30 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10 percent chance of a below-normal season. They also predicted that there could be 13 to 19 storms and six to ten hurricanes.

The Hill reports that major hurricanes are those that fall into categories 3, 4 or 5. A typical Atlantic hurricane season, which falls between June 1 and Nov. 30, has about 12 named storms, six hurricanes, and three major hurricanes.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross issued a statement in which he said:

“As Americans focus their attention on a safe and healthy reopening of our country, it remains critically important that we also remember to make the necessary preparations for the upcoming hurricane season.”

According to a study that was published earlier this week, storms such as hurricanes and typhoons are becoming more intense as the Earth warms.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.