A U.S. Navy sailor on Wednesday shot and killed two civilians working at Hawaii’s historic military base of Pearl Harbor, and injured a third, military officials said, before fatally shooting himself, Reuters informs.
Authorities did not identify the victims and the gunman or give a motive for the shooting, but media said the dead were all men. The gunman died of “an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound”, military officials told a news briefing, adding that the third victim was in stable condition in hospital.
“We have confirmed that two (victims) are deceased,” said the regional commander, Rear Admiral Robert Chadwick. “One is in stable condition in a local hospital. I can also report that the shooter, who has tentatively been identified as an active-duty sailor assigned to USS Columbia SSN 771, is also deceased by an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.”
On Twitter, base officials had earlier said all three victims were civilians working for the U.S. Department of Defense.
“I join in solidarity with the people of Hawaii as we express our heartbreak over this tragedy and concern for those affected by the shooting,” Governor David Ige said on Twitter.
“Details are still emerging as security forces at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam investigate,” he added, using the official name of the base.
The White House had contacted him to offer assistance from federal agencies as needed, Ige said. “The President has been briefed on the shooting…and continues to monitor the situation,” а White House spokesman said.