According to a Sunday statement by senior British ministers, the British government is working on the assumption that the European Union will not reopen the negotiation process for Brexit and is preparing to exit the Union without an agreement.
Boris Johnson, who took over as British prime minister on Wednesday with a promise to deliver Brexit by the end of October “no ifs or buts’’, plans to seek a new exit deal with the EU. The EU has said repeatedly that the deal cannot be reopened, according to Reuters.
Michael Gove, who is one of Johnson’s favorites for the Brexit preparations wrote in the Sunday Times newspaper:
“We still hope they will change their minds, but we must operate on the assumption that they will not. No deal is now a very real prospect and we must make sure that we are ready. Planning for no deal is now this government’s no.1 priority.’’
Gove added that every penny needed for no deal preparations will be made available. He also said that the government will launch one of the biggest peacetime public information campaigns in the history of Britain to get people and businesses ready for a no deal exit.
According to a report by The Sunday Times, Dominic Cummings, the mastermind behind the 2016 referendum campaign for Brexit who is also a senior aide to the Prime Minister, told a meeting of Boris Johnson’s advisers that he had been tasked with delivering Brexit by any means necessary.
The newly appointed finance minister Sajid Javid wrote in the Sunday Telegraph:
“In my first day in office, I tasked officials to urgently identify where more money needs to be invested to get Britain fully ready to leave on October 31 – deal or no deal. And next week I will be announcing significant extra funding to do just that.’’