Representative Ilhan Omar said Sunday that President Donald Trump’s latest tweet which contained some of her comments as well as images of 9/11 has resulted in an increase on death threats against her.
In a statement released Sunday, Omar said that “since the President’s tweet Friday evening, I have experienced an increase in direct threats on my life — many directly referencing or replying to the President’s video.”
“Violent rhetoric and all forms of hate speech have no place in our society, much less from our country’s Commander in Chief. We are all Americans. This is endangering lives. It has to stop,” Omar added.
Meanwhile, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she had contacted the House Sergeant-at-Arms who is in charge of security to make sure that Omar was safe and a security assessment was being conducted. Pelosi noted that she sought to “ensure that Capitol Police are conducting a security assessment to safeguard Congresswoman Omar, her family and her staff” after the numerous death threats made against her.
She further noted that Trump’s “hateful and inflammatory rhetoric” puts people in danger and urged him to remove his tweet in which he wrote, “We will never forget!” followed by a video of one of Omar’s speeches made last month where she says that Muslims have long been treated as second class-citizens adding that every Muslim in the U.S. should be tired of it.
Later on Sunday, Omar thanked the Capitol Police, the FBI, the House Sergeant at Arms, and Pelosi for addressing the issue, CNN writes.
White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders noted that President Trump’s intention was not to cause harm to the Minnesota representative.
“Certainly the President is wishing no ill will and certainly not violence towards anyone, but the President is absolutely and should be calling out the congresswoman for her not only one time but history of anti-Semitic comments,” she said.
Last month, a New York man was arrested for issuing death threats to Omar.