The U.S.-led military coalition fighting the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) announced Tuesday airstrikes and coordinated attacks against the terrorist group’s strongholds in Syria. The announcement comes just days after President Donald Trump ordered the withdrawal of all U.S. troops from the country.
According to Reuters, the attacks were carried out last week, from Dec. 16 to 22, in the Middle Euphrates River Valley.
The coordinated attacks destroyed ISIS logistics facilities and staging areas, which “severely degraded” the group and “removed several hundred” of its fighters from the battlefield.
The airstrikes also targeted several ISIS financial centers and capabilities in Susah and As Shafah, which the report described as dealing a “significant blow” to the terrorist group’s ability to finance its activities.
“ISIS presents a very real threat to the long-term stability in this region and our mission remains the same, the enduring defeat of ISIS,” the coalition’s deputy commander, U.K. Maj. Gen. Christopher Ghika, said in the report obtained by Reuters.
On Wednesday, Trump announced that he was ordering the withdrawal of the 2,000 U.S. troops fighting ISIS in Syria.
In announcing the withdrawal, Trump first declared victory over the group. He has since said others, including Turkey, Russia, Iran, and Syria, can deal with the remaining ISIS fighters in Syria.
Trump’s decision to withdraw sparked the resignations of Defense Secretary James Mattis and special envoy to the anti-ISIS coalition, Brett McGurk.