Actor Kevin Spacey has been charged with indecent assault and battery, over alleged sexual misconduct. The alleged events are suspected to have taken place in a restaurant in Nantucket on July 2016.
Cape & Islands District prosecutor Michael O’Keefe stated that following a “public show cause hearing” Brian Kearney Clerk Magistrate of the Nantucket District Court filed a criminal complaint against the actor on December 20.
According to the Boston Globe, the charges relate to an incident in which the former House of Cards star allegedly assaulted the teenage son of Heather Unruh, a former TV anchor in Boston.
In November last year, Unruh claimed Spacey had slipped his hands down her then 18-year-old son’s pants and touched his genitals. She claimed the incident happened at the Club Car Restaurant the previous summer.
Following the news on the alleged sexual misconduct, Spacey was kicked out of the cast of the hit show House of Cards by Netflix, a year ago.
News of the charges came shortly before Spacey released a video in which he argues his innocence. In the bizarre clip, which was posted on YouTube and on the actor’s official Twitter account, Spacey appears to reprise Frank Underwood, his character from House of Cards.
“Of course, some believed everything and have just been waiting with bated breath to hear me confess it all,” Spacey says in the video, which is titled Let Me Be Frank. “They’re just dying to have me declare that everything said is true and that I got what I deserved.”
Spacey then appears to address the viewers, seemingly hinting the allegations surrounding him were presented without adequate evidence.
“You wouldn’t believe the worst without evidence, would you? You wouldn’t rush to judgment without facts, would you? … Did you? No, not you. You’re smarter than that. If I didn’t pay the price for the things we both know I did do, I’m certainly not going to pay the price for the things I didn’t do.”
Prosecutors are also reviewing two separate allegations involving Spacey. The first alleges he attacked a man in Malibu, California, in October 2016.
The second has police in Britain investigating the Hollywood star for alleged assault. Scotland Yard has opened six investigations looking into claims the Oscar-winning actor attacked men while in Britain, Newsweek reported.