Although there is a rising possibility of a confrontation between Russia and the U.S. over increasing tensions in the Middle East, there is still no confirmation that an attack is going to happen.
A team of international chemical weapons experts traveled to Syria on Thursday night in order to investigate the alleged gas attack carried out by Syrian government forces on the town of Douma where dozens were killed and hundreds injured.
President Donald Trump warned in a tweet two days ago that missiles “will be coming” in response to that attack, while Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his allies lay blame for the crisis not with the Syrian government but with Trump.
Russian Deputy Prime Minister Arkady Dvorkovich stated that international relations should not depend on one person’s morning mood, referencing to Trump’s tweets
“We cannot depend on what someone on the other side of the ocean takes into his head in the morning. We cannot take such risks,” said Dvorkovich, speaking at a forum.
Reuters reported that Russia has warned the West against attacking Assad, who is also supported by Iran, and says there is no evidence of a chemical attack in Douma, a town near Damascus which had been held by rebels until this month.
Vassily Nebenzia, Moscow’s ambassador to the United Nations, stated that he “cannot exclude” war between the United States and Russia.
“The immediate priority is to avert the danger of war,” he told reporters. “We hope there will be no point of no return.”
Meanwhile, Sheikh Naim Qassem, deputy leader of the Iranian-backed Hezbollah, told Lebanese daily al-Joumhouria: “The conditions do not point to a total war happening…unless Trump and (Israeli leader Benjamin) Netanyahu completely lose their minds.”
Britain and France showed support for Washington but no clear military plans have yet emerged.
British Prime Minister Theresa May received approval from her Ministers on Thursday to take action together with the United States and France to stop future use of chemical weapons by Syria.
French President Emmanuel Macron stated on Thursday that France had evidence that the Syrian government carried out the Douma attack and would decide whether to strike back when all necessary information had been gathered.